I was rather fond of:
- The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin (Hachette Australia)
- Shadow Queen by Deborah Kalin (Allen & Unwin)
- Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Allen & Unwin)
- Slights by Kaaron Warren (Angry Robot)
For me, Irwin’s The Dead Path is the pick of the bunch: it’s a creepy, well-told Australian horror story (a rare find in a novel these days!). However, all were awesome in their own way. Slights is creepy in an altogether different and unique way, Worldshaker is steampunk at its finest (and very much told in the distinctive Harland voice), and Shadow Queen is a refreshing entry on the Australian fantasy scene.
In addition, although I didn’t read the following, I’ve heard good things about these:
- Red Queen by H. M. Brown (Random House)
- Life Through Cellophane by Gillian Polack (Eneit Press)
- MageSign by Alan Baxter (Blade Red Press)
So what Australian novels published in 2009 did you read and enjoy?
Next: novellas and novelettes …
Posted in: writing