The fan categories… note that ‘Fan Publication’ replaces Best Fanzine (which HorrorScope won a couple of years ago) and Fan Production.
Best Fan Publication (any medium)
- HorrorScope, edited by Shane Jiraiya Cummings et al. (Brimstone Press) – HorrorScope has become an institution and had its biggest year so far in 2008. We’re breaking the news and leading the ways with reviews, all thanks to a team of very dedicated volunteers. These guys rock.
- Studies in Australian Weird Fiction, edited by Benjamin Szumskyj (Equilibrium Books) – another sleeper and a bit of a dark horse, for mine. I think a journal dedicated to cataloguing and preserving current dark fiction, as well as dissecting horror from decades past, is worthy of as much respect as we can muster.
- [Late Addition] A Writer Goes on a Journey website, edited by Nyssa Pascoe – an enthusiastic new resource for spec fic writers.
Best Fan Writer
- Robert Hood (Undead Backbrain) – last year’s deserving winner. Rob’s knowledge of zombies, ghosts, and giant monsters is obsessive and very entertaining.
- Chuck McKenzie (HorrorScope)*
- Mark Smith-Briggs (HorrorScope)*
- Brenton Tomlinson (HorrorScope)*
- Craig Bezant (HorrorScope)*
Best Fan Artist
This is the only category of which I don’t have enough knowledge to comment with any authority. Recommendations welcome!
Finally, special categories…
Posted in: Ditmar Awards